Sunday, October 14

Why do Christians hate global warming?

In the magazine of the conservative denomination I grew up in, my former pastor wrote an article about global warming and how Christians should show concern (online here). I hadn't read the actual article yet, I read the letters to the editor today. It sounded as if Snyder had committed blasphemy! Comments abounded like "Our three children don’t need you shoveling this refuse into our home via your vile magazine." Many readers ended their subscriptions. With that response, I had to read the original, I did, and was almost disappointed by the lack of controversy. It was no different than any newspaper article. Thesis: global warming exists and Christians have a responsibility to take action.

What's the big deal? Why are Christians so threatened by global warming? Why does the Church doubt its validity so much? I'm sure Christians are the only people with doubts, but we sure make up the majority. It's not as if global warming contradicts our faith in any way. Where does this peculiarity come from? Sounds like a good dissertation topic.

My only estimate is that Christians are essentially more conservative than non-Christians. (By "conservative" here, I mean literally "having a tendency to conserve.") Since the global warming idea didn't exist 40 years ago, we want to conserve that lack of the idea. I admit that's pretty silly sounding, but it's all I've got. Oh, and that somehow global warming became a Democratic issue instead of a Republic issue - not that it seems tied to either party's patterns. Perhaps if Bush had been a spokesperson a decade ago instead of Gore, Christians would be in exactly the opposite spot. I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about this for a while, and the conclusion I've come up with is that to admit that man can could potentially wipe ourselves out is coming dangerously close to admitting that God is not in control of the earth.